Our friend and host, UT Austin, recently sent a link to their Flickr album containing photos from the 2017 Formula Sun Grand Prix.
Archive for WebMaster
Earlier in the week, we were visited by journalists who were interested in getting a closer look at the event here in Austin, TX. They were able to meet some teams, ask some questions, and have made a story available online.
Have a look at their findings:
This Saturday, during the Public Day of the 2017 Formula Sun Grand Prix, we will be bringing back a favorite of attendees in the past, the solar car workshop. Similar to the work shop we’ve previously held, children will have the opportunity to work hands-on with solar cars as they build and race them.
The workshop will be held at the following times: 9:30 am, 10:30am, 11:30pm, 1:30pm, 2:30pm, and 3:30pm. Each time slot has room for 24 participants, and is offered on a first come, first serve basis. Those who are interested may sign-up at the booth on-site.
The public day event will be held in the paddock area of Circuit of The Americas starting at 9:00 am.
The event is well underway with teams already moving through and completing stages of the scrutineering process. Throughout the event we will be featuring teams and all that is going on via a variety of online outlets. We’ve prepared a list, and made it available below.
To keep up with all that’s going on you can keep on eye on the following:
The 2017 Formula Sun Grand Prix is fast approaching, it’s just over a week and a half away. This event, like the American Solar Challenge, promotes more than good sportsmanship and camaraderie between teams, it strives to introduce the community to all that’s possible with solar and other renewable energy sources.
The event, which lasts a week, begins with three days of scruitineering, scruitineering is followed by three days of solar-powered raycing. To win the race, teams strive to complete more laps of the nearly three and a half mile long track than any other — using only solar power.
On the final day of racing, the public is invited to see first hand what a solar car race looks like. The open event will run from 9:00 am until 5:00 pm on Saturday, July 8th at Circuit of the Americas in Austin, TX. We hope to see you there!
Address of the track (per the COTA website):
9201 Circuit of the Americas Blvd, Austin, TX 78617
At the 2017 solar car conference some teams expressed interest in reviving the solar car subreddit. We’re pleased to see that this initiative is already in progress. For now, ASC will continue to support the Google Group discussion forum and will not take an active role in the subreddit. We’ll allow the subreddit to be managed by the teams & for the teams to allow it to grow and develop dynamically. Feel free to start contributing to the community today at https://www.reddit.com/r/solarracing/.
We have published the first revision of the ASC/FSGP 2018 regulations. These regulations will be discussed at the 2017 Solar Car Conference in Kansas City so if you have any thoughts or questions, that will be a great forum to bring them up. Otherwise feel free to send inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We would like to officially announce the 2017 IEF Solar Car Conference. This event will be held February 3rd through February 5th in Overland Park, KS, near Kansas City. All interested solar car teams are invited!
For more information, please see the event’s official page.
This summer’s collegiate level solar car racing is taking place from Jul 22 – Aug 6. Here are some important links to help you stay up to date with the 2016 event. We will do our best to keep the website regularly updated throughout the event but if you are looking for up to the minute stats and information, our social media feeds will be a better bet. If you are primarily interested in following a particular team, we suggest that you check out their website and social media feeds for more information.
- Team Status Board: This page tracks team’s administrative documents, vehicle design reports, and Scrutineering status. The goal here is simple: achieve all greens!
- Team Rankings, Event Maps, Scheduling, & Information: This page features lots of information about both the FSGP and ASC racing events including official team rankings, schedules, and maps. There are portions of both events that are open to the public. If you get the chance, be sure to come out and see the cars up close and in person.
- Live Team GPS Location: This link contains the information you need to see Sporttraxx live tracking of the solar cars throughout FSGP and ASC 2016. To utilize this feature you’ll need to download & install Google Earth, click the “Start 3D Flight” button and zoom in until the team locations become visible.
- Twitter: This will likely be our most frequently updated feed with the latest tidbits of information about the event as it happens.
- Facebook: Here you’ll find periodic updates, photos, and possibly some videos throughout each day.
- Flickr: If you’re looking for photos from this event this is the place to find them. We’ll do our best to upload some new photos each day with more pictures to come from multiple sources after the event wraps up.